because i know a funny look when i see one

Part of why I love my job is that I can be a total ham and the kids just love me for it. I mean, where else can you tell a corny knock-knock joke and get so much praise and appreciation?

I especially love it when the school itself fosters this kind of fun. At every school I've worked, there's been some kind of special week. In California and Michigan, it was Spirit Week. Here, it's Red Ribbon (anti-drugs) Week. In the past, teachers and students alike have come to school with crazy hair, a favorite hat,  mismatched clothes, and ... my favorite.... pajamas!

Today it was "'Sock it to drugs' Day" and we were all supposed to wear our craziest socks.

Well, I don't really own any "crazy" socks.

So I wore a tunic/dress with black leggings, then pulled up my knee-high gray socks and called it good. But when I got to school, a colleague of mine offered me a spare pair of extra-crazy socks. I happily switched my gray socks for some purple, green, blue, and white striped knee-highs.

I wish I'd had my camera; I looked pretty ridiculous... but the kids were thrilled! One person told me I looked like an elf. Another person told me I looked like a teenager.

And I made sure to tell the delivery man by the cafeteria that it was Crazy Sock Day.

13 comments:

Sherri said...

You know, WE had crazy socks day today as well, but I forgot!! Duh....sure did hear about that from the kiddos. Glad you got a little crazy!

Sarah Garb said...

It is tons of fun to dress up in crazy outfits and have the kids think you're nuts/amazing. I loved Spirit Week at my old school, featuring a head to toe orange getup I'd never wear anywhere else! Glad you got some crazy socks after all :)

Tickled Pink Mandy said...

It's red ribbon week at our school too! Today was "lei" off drugs... these names/themes....geesh! But its so fun to see the kids get so excited (we are a uniform school...so they are especially thrilled to dress up)

Mrs. Fine said...

I love days like that! Once I wore capris with striped socks (1 sock from each pair, of course), and pigtails...the kids thought it was hilarious...glad you had fun!

Sharlene T. said...

And, where are the pictures?!? Our teachers didn't do things like that when I was growing up... 8-(

Anonymous said...

Elfish teenager....wish I could have seen that!! Love you, Mom

Anonymous said...

I have done some "crazy" things teaching too. Just minutes ago (my first hour) I did my imitation of the witch from the Wizard of Oz. It was embarrassing but my 9th graders loved it, particularly because I am a male teacher. "How could someone like you destroy my beautiful wickedness I am melting oh melting...."

Renee said...

Haha! Sounds like the outfit worked if the delivery man was giving you a weird look.

Elissa Newton said...

Sent the kids to school this morning all inside out. But my favorite was crazy hair day. I braided my daughters hair and used it to make a nest on top of her head. Then put little fake birds and eggs in it. Sooo much fun!

Anonymous said...

We have that at our HS. It's called Blair Week because then we play Blair at homecoming. The only thing is that if I participate, I run the risk of being a totally loser teacher, rather than a hero. Also, that crazy period happens RIGHT before trimester exams. Will they learn anything?? --Rebekah
PS. can't wait to find out the different themes...

Charlotte said...

Sweet! I love when the teachers go all out for the "crazy" days.

Shell said...

Love it!

This is spirit week for my son's school, too. Monday was silly sock/shoe day and I tried to get him to wear some long crazy socks or two different shoes, but he said, "Mom. Kids will laugh at me."

He's in kindergarten so doesn't get the spirit week thing, yet. LOL

When I was teaching, I loved spirit week!

jfb57 said...

I loved dressing up & being silly when I was a head. Whether it was standing at the school gate in PJs or dressed as a munchkin for Wizard of Oz! You can see some of the silliness on my bold http://jfbv57.wordpress.com

Newer Posts Older Posts Home