broke teachers

I've been working on my classroom already, getting it set up for next year. Usually, I would wait until the week or two before school starts, but we'll be out of town on vacation and I do NOT want that trip to be spoiled thinking about my bare walls and empty classroom.

So I'm being proactive about it! I went to the teacher store last week and handed over my soul  an arm and a leg lots of money and got some much needed supplies. All in froggy theme!! My door is going to say: "Hop in to Kindergarten and First grade". Cuteness! I'll show you pictures when it's all said and done.

I'm really sweating it in terms of using my own money for my classroom this year. Because of the budget crisis, they took away our $250 stipend for materials! Sadness. But at least I still have a job!

If you're hard up for cash too (and who isn't?), go check out Erica's Elementary Excitement. She's giving away a $50 gift card to Lakeshore and a $25 gift card to Target!

6 comments:

Sarah Garb said...

Gasp! I can't believe you're setting up your room already!! I definitely feel you on not wanting to be stressed out about it later, though. I'm switching to a new room next year and getting a little stressed. The frogs do sound super cute :)

Shell said...

So cute! I did a frog theme one year, too!

SharleneT said...

Excellent idea. Why not do that, every year, and enjoy your summer ready to move directly into fall classes? Capital thinking. Love the frog theme, as I'm sure the kids will. It's awful about the budget cut. They did that here and so many TAs lost their jobs. There's something seriously wrong about all this.

jfb57 said...

This is a really interesting post. As a retired head teacher I'm interested to read the approaches that teachers make to a new school year. I may pick up this theme on the Head's Office (my blog) if that's OK?

JoAnna said...

You do know that you get a tax break for up to $250 of your personal money spent on school supplies right? In MA, we do, anyway.

We aren't allowed to go near our building with a 10 foot pole this summer. We have an awful principal that makes up silly lies about why we aren't supposed to be in our rooms. It really sucks. For years, I would go in every day for a little bit for the weeks before school started. Now it's just another frenzy that she has created and we can't do anything until just before school starts. That's one of the reasons I could never go anywhere right before school starts! I wouldn't rest!

Sophie @ threetimesf said...

I can't wait to see the pics of your classroom! That sounds so cute, I wish my pre-school teachers were as awesome as you!

Newer Posts Older Posts Home