Rebel without a cause

I'm knee deep in a full day of district training and I'm writing this from the computer lab in the building during my lunch break.
 
This is not the engaging, useful, and relevant training that I have sometimes had the pleasure of attending. During those trainings I sit up and take notes and actively particpate. No, this one is squarely in the other category: mind-numbingly dull and mostly irrelevant training. During these trainings, I usually doodle, stare out the window, or brainstorm excuses of ways to get out of the training (so far, self-injury seems to be the most effective option).
 
I wasn't sure which type of training I was going to be attending today so I came prepared with copies of the teacher's edition of our reading curriculum and my plan book in order to do my lesson planning for next week. My only regret is that I didn't bring MORE work with me as I have finished all of next week's lesson planning and I still have a whole afternoon to fill as our lecturer drones on and on.... and on....
 
I used to be a conscientious and active participant in all meetings, even the boring ones. But this is my fifth year of teaching, and maybe something inside my brain just snapped. Because I refuse to waste any more of my precious time! I fulfilled my requirement of physically being there, and I'm not bothering anyone by discreetly scribbling in my lesson plans.
 
But I do feel like quite the naughty teacher. On Tuesday I went to a training from 4:30 to 8:00 PM about how to navigate our special education IEP software. As it turns out, it's a two part training, and the training that I specifically needed was in Part 2 (not meeting until November). Part one was... well.... let's just say that the presenter spent ONE WHOLE HOUR talking about how to log into the system. I kid you not!! When we had a short break at 6:30. I high-tailed it outta there. And I only spent about six minutes feeling guilty about it.
 
I was never a bad kid; I never went through anything close to a rebellious stage as a teenager; and I was the perfect model of responsibility in college. I guess I'm making up for all of that now!!

6 comments:

Randy et Jan said...

If that's your worst rebellion, then you're doing pretty well I'd say!! Love you, Mom

Anonymous said...

Hello public education. Remember these days and make sure you home school your own children...

Sarah said...

I hate those boring, waste of my time trainings!! I'm all for a good informative one where I can actually use something though! I'm like you - the good child and I must admit to sneaking out of training myself!

Anonymous said...

Ya gotta know when to hold em, know when to fold em, know when to walk away, know when to run--I love that song! It applies to so much more than just poker...inservices for example!
BB

Max said...

Question: you have a history of this.

Fact: didn't you knit your way through an entire year of biology classes taught by YOUR OWN FATHER?

Answer:

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Max, for getting the record straight.

The Biology Teacher.

Newer Posts Older Posts Home