Identity Crisis

Today, I'm posting about something other than being a teacher....

I felt like part of me died yesterday when Max brought back our car from a smog check (which it miraculously passed). It had new license plates on it. California license plates. I stared at the back of our car for at least a minute, wrapping my tongue around the strange-sounding new numbers. I've had the same Michigan plates since 2000 and I'd come to enjoy the bright blue distinction from the other CA plates. Plus, it was a reminder of where I'd come from. And now, it's gone! I'm surprised that it matters so much to me.
Today when I walked out to the parking lot to drive home, I felt disillusioned because I couldn't find the car--I had totally forgotten that it had new plates now. It's like I need to get reacquainted with my car again. I walked over to open the door and actually looked inside to double check that it was, indeed, our car. I guess this will take some getting used to....

Is it just me or does anyone else have issues letting go? :)

4 comments:

2 bees said...

Save that old plate...and someday you can have happy thoughts when you look at it hanging in the garage or basement or your son's dorm.

GT said...

If you're looking for a nifty place to "Save that old plate," as 2 bees suggests, George has a great Kent family license plate collection coyly adorning the rafter area of Minnie's garage.

Anonymous said...

Hi. I guess I forgot to mention that I also have a smog license. Maybe in a couple years, look me up.
James

Hannah said...

Was that a pick-up line James? Not a very good one if you ask me...

Newer Posts Older Posts Home