at least I wasn't arrested

Today, we're jumping on a plane headed for my ten year high school reunion. Actually, we probably won't literally be jumping on a plane. There's always lots of fun security and shoe-removing before there's any actual jumping.

I've always been terrified of walking through that little archway that's supposed to detect any metal on you. It's silly because the worst that could happen is that it beeps and then you embarrassingly remember you left  your keys in your pocket. But still. I end up holding my breath walking through that thing.

One time a few years back, as Max and I had our luggage on the conveyor belt for the see-through thingy, they stopped me and my bag.

"There's a knife in your bag," the TSA agent told me.

WHAT?

I didn't pack any knives. I was sure of it! I left all of my knives, guns, and explosives at home. Promise!

Then she unzipped the front pocket of my backpack and pulled out a butter knife from our silverware set. It was left over from a picnic or some such nonsense. We obviously couldn't board with it (you know, butter knives being as sharp and dangerous as they are) so we had to throw it away right then and there.

So much for being a seasoned traveler....

10 comments:

Sneaker Teacher said...

On my most recent trip back to Germany from the US, I made the metal detector go off because I had on a cute new headband that I bought and I didn't even think about the fact that it was made of metal. I think that was the first time I ever set it off!

Have fun at the reunion!

TeachEnEspanol said...

Back in the day they used to have uniformed military officials come over and threaten evil things unless you threw it away. Happened to a friend of mine in high school and he felt like he was in a legitimate quandary because it was his mother's silverware set.

TeachEnEspanol said...

Oh p.s. have fun at the reunion!!!

Shell said...

LOL

Have fun at your reunion!

Bethany said...

Actually, i think the worst that can happen is that they give you a full body x-ray that shows all the airport patrons your goods. Or a body cavity search if they think you have drugs up your bum or something.

Just sayin.

Unknown said...

Hahahaha!!! Oh the dangers of a butter knife! Me and my purse were stopped once because I forgot I had a lighter in it. I'm obsessed with lighters and just like carrying them around (don't ask, I know I'm weird). Well I forgot about it and they did the same thing and I had to throw it away. It is pretty embarrassing though.

Renee said...

My cousin & I were flying back from Chicago a few years ago. We were going through the metal detectors with no issues, when all of a sudden they pulled his suitcase off the belt & onto the floor. They were digging through everything looking for "something" they saw on the screen...& it turned out to be magnets he bought at the aquarium!

Sherri said...

I agree with Bethany....just hope that you get through without the body cavity search!

I think butter knives are only dangerous to butter....and now you will be short a knife for the matching set when relatives come for dinner. Damn airport peeps!

Sarah Garb said...

Once on a family trip, my brother who was twelve at the time bought a lighter that we didn't know about. Our bags go through the scanner, and my dad and brother get called back. Oh yeah--important detail about the lighter my brother bought: shaped like and looked like a GRENADE!

Elissa Newton said...

The strangest thing I ever found in my bag? Unwrapped French toast. My son was saving it for later :-)

Newer Posts Older Posts Home