sunday, bloody sunday

Here's the thing. There's only three weeks left of my summer break. (And while saying that, I'm dodging knuckle sandwiches and evil eye glares from all my readers out there who have "real" jobs!)

Summer break is ten weeks long, but for my purposes here it's best to think of it as just a weekend.

The first month is like Friday night: you're ready to PART -TAY! You stay up late, you meet up with friends, you go out on the town, you yell Woo Hoo a lot, and have a general disregard for the future. You can still taste the sweet flavors of freedom.

The second month is Saturday. On Saturday, you sleep in late (of course!) but you end up getting out of your pajamas around noon to run some errands. You might clean the house, or work on that project you've been putting off.

The last few weeks is Sunday. Sure, you're technically still off of work, but Monday is looming a little too close in the horizon. On Sunday you might start to panic. You might finish that report that you were supposed to write, or get to those emails you were supposed to have dealt with on Friday. You may not enjoy your day very much because you're thinking about how awesome Friday and Saturday were and how LONG you will have to wait until the next weekend.

It's definitely Sunday for me over here. I've been back in my classroom, getting things ready before we go on a last little jaunt to visit the in-laws. Three out of four bulletin boards are set up. Files have been reorganized and resources have been copied. I'll go in tomorrow to tie up some loose ends (and finally realize that I'll never be able to get it ALL done before the kids come) then it's three days of professional development before our last trip of the summer.

I'm determined to squeeze out all the fun I can before "Monday"!

8 comments:

Sarah Cooley said...

This explanation of a teacher's summer is brilliant. Couldn't have said it better myself! A+. So, here's to Sunday ((raising a glass)).

Bethany said...

This is both a very ingenious post, and very depressing! It really is a long school year, isn't it? And I'm realizing that I need to get my own year plotted out for homeschool so that I won't belly flop, and can send them back to public school next year.

So I really should be in your same position, right? I'm probably overdue for a huge freak out/reality check.

Anonymous said...

I very much like the analogy of our summer break as a weekend. I will henceforth claim it as my own. See you in Alabama...

Anonymous said...

So you're English, are you?

tgm said...

loved this post and this idea about the break being a weekend.

Sharlene T. said...

Excellent analogy... retirement is one long Sunday because you're trying to catch up with all the projects you started while full time working and discovering that maybe, just maybe, you're not that interested anymore, but you did pay the stuff and, well... I know, forget it, I'm not getting any sympathy from all you folks looking to get back to work, so I'll simply repeat... wonderful analogy... come visit when you can

Twitter: SolarChief

Nancy Hniedziejko (Nancy Ehrlich) said...

I totally understand what you are saying. I'm upset July is ending. Where did it go? If we teachers didn't have summer, we couldn't do what we do - not with the passion we bring. Great post!

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh! That was the BEST way to describe summer break! I have to go back to my third graders on August 16th, but like you, I am planning to go in early and get it all set up before I have to. It makes me crazy to wait until the week we "have to" be there. And yes- Monday is lurking, but we can still stay up late, sleep in and THEN go to school to work right??? Oh- and there's always the fact that we can eat lunch out too! Great post my teacher friend!

Newer Posts Older Posts Home