i didn't lose the sweet tooth

We drove from Alabama to Michigan in one long eighteen hour drive on Monday.

I knew my pleas to split it up into two days would be useless in the face of my husband's perfect logic: Why ruin two days instead of one? Why spend money on a hotel room when we can sleep in our own bed at mom and dad's house?

So we left at 5:00 AM and got there at 11:30 PM. But there's no real need to feel sorry for me because I've developed some pretty good coping mechanisms over the years. My first strategy (and the most effective one) is simply to conk out. Sleeping for four hours takes an 18 hour drive to a 14 hour drive. Much better. My other strategies are to call people and chit chat on the phone, listen to podcasts, and.... munch on munchies!

There's just something about eating junk food on a long car ride that makes the trip a bit more enjoyable. That's why when we stopped to get gas, I came out of the rest stop with some Skittles and some gum.

I happily tore into the Skittles after lunch. I told Max I'd eat the first half of the package while he was busy polishing off the Doritos. I was almost at the end of my candy allotment when I felt a loud crunch in my mouth.

I moaned. This was either going to turn out to be a really stale lemon Skittle, or....

...my tooth. My crown, to be exact. The crown I'd had put in to the top right hand side of my mouth a mere two years ago by my incompetent dentist. So I spit out the lemony mass, and salvaged the crown by wrapping it in a napkin in my purse. When I looked in the mirror to survey the damage, this is kinda what I saw:

Okay, so I don't really look like that, but in the absence of an actual picture from my camera, you'll just have to trust me that I am now Hillbilly Sarah (at least until I see the dentist tomorrow).

There are three good things to come of this:

  1. THANK THE LORD it didn't happen until after my ten year reunion. My vanity could not have handled it!
  2. There's no pain involved.
  3. This is a golden opportunity to convince myself and others that the best thing for my poor mouth right now is to just eat ice cream until my dentist's appointment.

13 comments:

Bethany said...

Oh, that sucks! At least there's no pain though. I hope you aren't feeling resentment towards the Skittles, because they are my friend. I'm sure they didn't meant to hurt you.

Shell said...

OUCH! Your poor tooth!

Definitely need some ice cream!

Elissa Newton said...

Those darn Skittles. That's why my health food of choice is Reese's Pieces. They would never think of doing that to a person. They are the Switzerland of candy.

Mrs. Fine said...

Wow! I think you've just sworn me off skittles! I hope 'the incident' was near the end of the ride...I'd be bemoaning my status for the remainder of the trip...that or trying impressions of Elmer Fudd!

Aleksandra Nearing said...

Oh my word - AL to MI?! I drove from Chicago to Atlanta ONCE in a Uhaul when we moved down here and that was it for me.

Sharlene T. said...

For me, it was Sugar Daddys and, once I had my cap protected by some tissue paper, I continued to eat the candy... why do we do that? Shouldn't this be a lesson? Of course not. Pure logic would tell you that the Is no longer serviceable, the dental appointment has been made, so we might as well enjoy all the candy we can... perfect sense -- until, our children say that... when you get a break, come visit...

Twitter: SolarChief

Anonymous said...

Oh good Lord! That is one of my worst fears because then you are stuck feeling that hole in your mouth with your tongue! I'm so glad it doesn't hurt and that you are able to fix it before the reunion. I will no longer eat Skittles for fear of this! Have fun up north!

Sherri said...

Oh no!! I LOVE skittles, and they can be a bit crunchy....but still, that's not cool!

Randy et Jan said...

I am so sorry! How awful! I guess crowns don't come with a guarantee. I think ice cream is the perfect remedy before and after the dentist!! Love you, Mom

Randy et Jan said...

So sorry, Princess. I've done the same thing, but with nuts. Love you. dad

Rebekah said...

I've been thinking about you today!! I'm not sure when your appointment is, but I hope everything goes well and that you're not left with too big of a whole in your wallet. Let me know how it went!

Charlotte said...

I'm with you that snacking makes traveling better. Losing teeth is not a good side effect, though!

UnicycleRose said...

Candy and crowns don't mix...I hope you have located a better dentist!

Newer Posts Older Posts Home