Before you can even ask...

When people ask me what I do for a living, I tell them that I am a teacher of children who are deaf/hard-of-hearing. And then I brace myself for the inevitable question that follows: "Oh, so you know sign language?" The answer is that while I do know some, I do not use it in the classroom. I teach in an oral program; that means that every child wears hearing aids (or has a cochlear implant) and my job is to teach them to listen, as well as to narrow the gap in their language delay.

I am also a brand new teacher. This is my first year out in the "real world". I meant to start this blog at the beginning of the year, but time slipped away from me, and here we are in March! I have learned a lot of valuable lessons so far this year--stuff they apparently can't teach you in college. To make an education major more practical to college students everywhere, I propose the following curriculum:
"Copy Machines 101"
"Dealing with well-meaning, yet incompetent administrators 210"
"Paperwork Management 101"
"Avoiding Teacher Lounge Gossip 220"
"Colleague Mediation 201"
And finally, maybe the most important:
"Catering to Psycho Parents 310"

I guess that was my little way of summing up the last few months :). I hope to keep this site up-to-date for my parents and friends across the ocean, as well as for my family in the arctic Midwest, because Max is really hogging our other blog :)

4 comments:

seshwan said...

How about also, "7 steps how not to get hoarse by Friday"!

It was like I was in full flung puberty today--and Friday's our singing day... needless to say, my students had a great laugh. In a way, though, it was a blessing in disguise because they were alert and engaged, just waiting for the next vocal or animal-sounding nonsense to hit their ears....

Heidi said...

Hi Sarah,
Great to see you've got a blogspot! I will keep checking for new entries..Miss you! Love Heidi x

2 bees said...

All those apply to casemanagers as well, except the "dealing with psycho parents"...we case managers would say, "dealing with psycho girlfriends, boyfriends", or just plain "psychos"!

Anonymous said...

Hahaha, I TOTALLY need a class on copy machines. Heck, all of those sound good. --CV

Newer Posts Home