snapshot

I'm not sure what it is about lower elementary school students, but they don't seem to believe in the whole "raise your hand to speak" idea. I mean, sure... they believe it in theory: if I asked my whole class what they needed to do to get my attention, they would dutifully reply with a chorus of "raise your hand". But in the real world? Not so much. The kids will come right up to me if they need something. It doesn't matter that they're in first grade and have been "raising their hand" for a year and half now. I still have random students getting up out of their chairs and coming to me to ask for (fill in the blank).
 
So today when an office staff member came by to take a picture of me and my cooperating teacher (for a bulletin board), it was strangely fitting that I was literally waving a student out of the shot just as she clicked the button. There I was: one arm around my colleague, the other stiffly bent away from my body, shooing off a random request from a student who "forgot" to raise her hand.
 
I can't think of a more fitting picture to capture life in the classroom!

8 comments:

KellyTeaches said...

Haha. Oh man, just when I think I've got this figured out, we have a vacation and everyone is shouting out again! Today it was very loud in my room and more than once I had to stop and say "I'm going to wait until everyone remembers our meeting rules to continue..."

JoAnna said...

ugh this is what my plc meeting was like right before vacation and they are ADULTS. i had absolutely no control over that meeting, they completely missed the exercise we were doing and i was very mad.

Jenny said...

Do you think part of it is that they just need to move more? I'm sure part of it is that they're first graders and totally impulsive which means they KNOW what to do but can't put it into practice in the needed instance. But sometimes I think they are just looking for a reason to get up, too.

Joey Lynn Resciniti said...

Very cute. I was in and out of a bunch of classrooms today (grade 3-5). The hand raising was hit and miss. I still appreciate the enthusiasm of the raised hand with "ooh ooh ooh." Makes you want to pick that kid. Okay, not really.

SharleneT said...

You're right, absolutely perfect! And, think of all those wonderful memories you'll when (and, if) you ever reach old age! You're too young at heart for that. Come visit when you can...

Anonymous said...

Sorry Sarah, but I actually teach my high school students to UNLEARN that rule since I prefer a dialogue and a fast pace class with tons of participation rather than pausing, waiting for a hand, calling on the student and listening to the answer. Too quiet for me! Rebekah

Bethany said...

I love those "real" pictures. Which is why half the pictures of my kids show their facial abrasions and bruises.

Unknown said...

Haha! At least the reality of your day was captured. :-)

Newer Posts Older Posts Home