Parents

No fun pictures this time, but I do have a lot of mental pictures of parents smiling at parent-teacher conferences, and that is always good. Unless they were evil, menacing smiles then it wouldn't be as good. But their smiles were genuine....

So far, I've talked to four children's parents, so I've got six to go. I love conference week because there's early dismissal all week, and no kids on Wednesday so that the upper el. teachers who have thirty sets of parents to see can fit it all in. Yea! I only have ten parents to see which means that I get to play... or catch up on work, whichever I feel like. In any case, this week is a breeze, despite not sleeping well (getting used to a bed can difficult--who knew?). Tomorrow, everyone in our DHH program is going out to eat so I'm definitely looking forward to that! I miss my colleagues... sometimes it seems like I only see them at the copy machine or on bus duty!

Quite a few parents have told me that their child REALLY enjoys coming to school. It somehow made me feel flattered, but the more I think about it, the more I believe that my kids are just too young to feel cynical about learning. Either that, or we do way more cooking and crafts than we should be doing and they're not working hard enough :). Either way, it was an odd feeling to have one set of parents look at me with an outright grateful look. But I'll take it!! The more I think about it, the more I feel like this group's parents are much more accepting of their child's disability and more able to support what I'm doing in the classroom. Maybe that's what makes the difference...
But who knows. I still have six more sets of parents to see and lots could happen to change my theory by the end of the week :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

heck your class looks like a lot of fun to me!

Anonymous said...

It's no suprise to me that you make school FUN for those kids! Proud of you, DoDo!!

Newer Posts Older Posts Home