Ten Steps to a happy September (or August if you go back early like us Texas teachers):
1. Develop short term amnesia: forget about all of that summer fun, it's all behind you now. It's over. Pretend it never happened.
2. Prepare your classroom ahead of time.
3. Find an organizational system that works for you, and then USE IT!
4. Remember to go to bed early, as in before it even gets dark.
5. Refrain from working 14 hour days, even though the temptation is there.
6. Remind yourself of all of those great activities you found over the summer that you were going to try this year. Do at least one!
7. Drill those routines and procedures into your students until you're blue in the face!
8. Suck up to your principal, the school secretaries, and the janitorial staff.
9. Remind yourself of all the happy parts of teaching. Focus on those. Smile.
10. Refrain from counting down until the next summer break!!