Gold Star


I happened to catch this secret on PostSecret the other day (from the website: PostSecret is an ongoing community art project where people mail in their secrets anonymously on one side of a postcard).

Did you ever get stickers on your work when you were young? I vaguely remember receiving some. I know my fourth graders still love getting them (they're not stars though, they're Spongebob and Batman and other commercial heroes!).

Star stickers represent work well done. How often do we commend our students for their good work? How specific are we with our praise? "Good job" means a lot less than "I'm so proud of you for remembering all of your capitals and periods!"

And as we grow into adulthood, accolades seem to fade altogether. They'll come in the form of "employee of the month" or a small raise, or something. But I think we're all kids at heart, and we all like to be recognized for work well done. I know I feel good about myself when another teacher asks to borrow an idea I've had or some materials I've created.

And I certainly felt good about myself when Melissa of Me:Daily passed on this nice award to me this morning!


I'm blushing.

But nothing in life is free, and there are rules for this award! I'm going to share ten things about me, and then spread the love onto three other bloggers. Ready? Let's play.

  1. I've never had highlights in my hair. I've always wanted to do it, but at the heart of me, I'm just too cheap.
  2. Someday I'm going to write a novel (and you can't stop me!)
  3. I have a serious addiction to ice cream.
  4. I've eaten the same school lunch for two and a half years (recipe here). Yes, I still enjoy it!
  5. I think it would be great fun to be a school librarian.
  6. I thought Chicago was in northern California until I was in tenth grade.
  7. I tend to lose Scrabble games because I'm too preoccupied with finding the most creative word instead of getting points.
  8. I once held a rhinoceros beetle on my arm when we were in Costa Rica.
  9. I'm fluent in French (for all the good it does me with my students' Spanish speaking parents...)
  10. I was nineteen years old when I learned that gas isn't actually sold in the gas cans. Who knew?
And now I'm passing on the torch to these three lovely bloggers:

Momma May Be Mad: I'm so glad I found her! I love reading her honest and insightful look into her own life and struggles.

Life-Based Education (TeachEnEspanol): I love reading her reflections on her life in the classroom!

Anne-Marie with a Dash: a French teacher in Canada who blogs about things other than school (What? You mean teachers can have a life outside the classroom?!?)

And now that I have completed the steps for accepting this award, I'd love to see an "About me" list of ten random things about you! Post your list (or link to your blog post) in the comments section if you'd like to play along :).

9 comments:

Sarah Garb said...

That's a nice gold star you've got there ;) So cool! And as for Scrabble--I think that's my downfall, too. It's sort of maddening when someone comes up with a rather plain word that somehow gets boatloads of points, and I'm over there paralyzed from making a move, trying to figure out how to make words that I feel are quite awesome into words that the Scrabble board thinks are also quite awesome!

Anonymous said...

Thought I would add a list even though I wasn't listed to do so!

1. I love my down blanket. It is cuddly and keeps me warm. I even snuggle with it in the summer.
2. I can eat a gallon of chocolate ice cream in one sitting!
3. I would love to ride in a race car or fly in a Blue Angel.
4. I would love to own a restaurant or coffee shop.
5. Some day I would like to be able to run enough to run a marathon.
6. I love having my hair highlighted.
7. I would love to do something completely wild, fun, and crazy with no reservations.
8. Some day I will snorkel the Great Barrier Reef.
9. I am learning Spanish both for work and for pleasure.
10. One of these days I will learn how to play the violin

*Guess who!

A 2 Z said...

Hi Sarah,

Thank you for the award! But they come at a price. You will see it posted Wednesday. I have to think about that list you know LOL I need some time to think about some vices of mine....I'm still intrigued with #4 !!! Did I understand well? You have been eating the same lunch everyday for all this time? You ARE a creature of habit LOL It must me a very healthy meal. Again thank you for the award. I will do my best to honor it. I kinda like the stars better LOL We should design awards for teachers Yeah!

TeachEnEspanol said...

Thank you so much! You're the best. :) I'm working on mine right now!

Jen said...

It's amazing how students love a simple sticker. I agree it's important to be specific! Love that!!

Yes, I too am Counting down the days and I have six week left too!!

Thanks for helping me celebrate my SITS day!!

Jen

Debby Carroll said...

Dear Untenured teacher,
I see that you likely don't teach in NJ where most of the untenureds have just been laid off! My daughters all teach (unfortunately, one of them does teach in Jersey and has just gotten her layoff notice). I'm passing your blog along. They blog with me (not about school, usually) but I think they'll enjoy yours!

Max said...

Fact: you 'tend' (and I do use the word loosely) to lose at Scrabble because I am a merciless wordsmith.

KNB said...

Thanks for the award! I'm not sure if I have to do anything else to claim it but the list? What a fun idea. So here goes:

10 Things about me
1. I ride horses even though I'm a little bit afraid of them.

2. I eat the same thing for breakfast and lunch these days: yogurt, blueberries, and granola.

3. Sometimes I don't shower after the gym. In fact, I've been know to even attend a dinner party post-gym, no-shower.

4. I love my husband's cooking (all fresh and organic), but sometimes I wish we could go for the Stouffer's French Bread pizza.

5. Sometimes I wish I could give back our cat--I discovered, after the fact, that I am not, in fact, a cat person.

6. But I need to cat to explain the scratches (self-inflicted) that sometimes appear on my arms.

7. Sometimes I reall need to take a time out from my kids (who I love, but all that following me around to the kitchen, to the bathroom...)

8. In my early twenties, I spent a week with my boyfriend (now husband)camping on a nude beach in Greece. (And there was no way to shave!!)

9. I'd like to be able to run a half marathon this summer, but I'm only up to six miles at the moment.

10. I am an incessant nail biter. Nothing works to stop the habit. Any ideas?

Cheers!

Elissa Newton said...

I think we may be separated at birth!

Newer Posts Older Posts Home