There'll always be space in my heart

**Scroll down to the next post to find out who won the pocket chart!

This morning I went on a field trip with my eight fifth graders to visit their new middle school (or: Big Kid Land). Most of them will be going to a regional deaf ed program on this general ed campus.

They were all nervously excited and I enjoyed listening to their comments as we went on the tour:

"It's big!"

"So many deaf kids... I shock!"

"Hey, what that boy's name?"

"I scared. It's haunted here. I don't want to die! I'm too handsome to die!" (this student may have been a little too over-dramatic!)

The mothers of two of my fifth grade girls were along for the tour as well. And both sets of mother-eyes got B-I-G when the eighth grade boys walked into the library and made a beeline straight for my cuties. [Later, one of the girls' moms told her "No touching!" gesturing wildly to her private parts!!]

On the bus ride back, as they were all thinking about moving on to a new school next year, one of my students asked me "We'll always be in your heart, right?"

And that right there? That's why I teach.

12 comments:

Melissa said...

Oh, goodness! And that moment, will always be in your heart. How wonderful! Really, talk about performance reviews...that's the best one I've ever heard.

teachin' said...

Yep. Those are the moments that make everything else worth it.

Randy et Jan said...

Teared up! So precious! Makes it all worth it! Love you, Mom

melissa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
melissa said...

What an awesome story...I am so glad you won my painting thru TCB...u sound like a wonderful person that will always have plenty of space in your heart for these amazing children! I hope I can make u something that will always have a place in your heart as well.

Sincerely,
Melissa www.melissajackson-initialdesigns.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Popping by from SITS Happy Sat. YOU HAVE THE EXACT SAME BLOG DESIGN AS ME!

Ms. Sarah said...

thats so sweet. Love when kids come out with things like that. just melted my heart

melissa said...

aww that is the sweetest thing.. I got chills.. Thanks for sharing

TeachEnEspanol said...

I just love being a part of that transition for my 5th graders. You are taking something totally new and scary for them and blending it with someone who is stable and supportive of them and it is great to see how little by little they begin to feel safer about moving on (while, of course, still needing your reassurance that they can always come back if need be.

Anonymous said...

Aw, now that's just sweet! Love, Brenda

livinginbetween said...

Oh, so sweet story. I have my teaching degree but have stayed home with my kids so far. I saw you on SITS' blog frog community. I love your pretty layout.

Anonymous said...

Yes, thirty years later, many of my former ETHS students are still dear to me too. dad

Newer Posts Older Posts Home