The Big Move

I'm already thinking about the upcoming school year. I really shouldn't... thinking about school in the summer is like picking a scab-- you want to but you really ought to leave it alone so it can heal properly (ie: rest up!).

I was shocked to learn that they are moving me from 4th/5th grade reading down to first grade reading next year! They are doing it to make the numbers more fair (and as the one who got stuck with 14 students last year when each of my colleagues had only six, I really do appreciate that!).


So I am leaving the land of hormones, "being cool", and accidentally witty remarks to the land of tears, dependence, and unconditional love.

I'm excited and terrified all at once!

If you have any tips, advice, or resources for me on how to be an effective teacher at this level, please send them my way! :)

12 comments:

TeachEnEspanol said...

Wow, good luck with the move! As with all great teachers, your ability to be flexible and adapt (and not even complain...at least not here) is inspiring. I don't have tips on 1st grade but I suspect we'll find more similarities than we could have imagined by the end of next year. Sometimes I hate the numbers game, but sometimes it works out for the best. Either way, support is always a click away if you need me!

Sharlene T. said...

A little phenobarbitol in your morning coffee should make all your problems very small... 8-) ... if not that, I'm at a loss...

Cori said...

I taught 1st grade for awhile and especially loved literacy development. I'd be happy to chat... Also, you might find something on my blog helpful: . Good luck!

Cori said...

Oops.. My blog name didn't publish. It's growingreadersandwriters.blogspot.com.

Elissa Newton said...

My daughter learned to love reading in 1st grade. Good luck!!!

Bethany said...

I don't have a tip, but I do have gratitude! I've had two first graders who benefited from a reading teacher in that crucial year. You are going to make a huge difference in some lives. Go get 'em!

Sarah Garb said...

That IS a big move! My school loops, so every two years I move from 3rd to 2nd--meaning going from basically beginning of year fourth graders to end of year first graders. They always seem so LITTLE when I go back to 2nd! But second grade is great, and I know first will be too! They're so excited about everything! Good luck!

alicia said...

Aw, you will be such a good 1st grade teacher too. I'm sure it will provide plenty of material as well.

Nancy Hniedziejko (Nancy Ehrlich) said...

Plan, plan, plan and then, plan some more! I wish I could give you all of my materials - boxes full. Another tip: keep laughing and buy lots of hand sanitizer:) I'm an email away if you need help with anything. Oh... and remember tons of manipulatives for math. And, integrate phonics with comprehension strategies, not just word calling. OK... I'll stop now. Congrats! Can't wait to hear about all of your adventures. Nancy

Sandi Walker said...

You will do great at 1st grade! So far my favorite year to teach.

Vanessa @ See Vanessa Craft said...

Good luck in your new position!!

Anonymous said...

I am planning to teach 1st grade when I graduate. I love 1st graders, they are so sweet! Good luck with your move.

Newer Posts Older Posts Home