Happy Feet

 If you had asked me back in November if June 4th would ever come, I would have told you: "No way! I will die in this school building, under-resourced, under-supported, and over-worked. June 4th is just a myth."

I'm not usually this pessimistic, but I think it had something to do with the fact that I moved to a new state this year, and started teaching inner-city kids with all sorts of challenges and neediness.

In the very beginning, it felt like working here was like breaking in a new pair of shoes.

Almost immediately, I realized that there was a pebble in my shoe that didn't belong there. (Things got easier in March when I was able to remove the pebble and find a better quarry for him!)

Don't get me wrong, it wasn't like there were no scenic views on my journey this school year. My stinky fifth graders kept me laughing! Other highlights included explaining the word "diarrhea" and explaining "race" (Asian, Hispanic, etc).

Usually at the end of the school year, I am full of boundless excitement. Yesterday, as I was driving home after the students' last day (staff had to report today to clean out rooms, etc), I just wanted to have a good long cry -- some sort of cathartic release to acknowledge that this year is finally behind me.

And now.... I can't wait to put my feet up!! Maybe even indulge in a manicure!! Happy Summer Break, everyone :)

13 comments:

TeachEnEspanol said...

Congratulations on surviving. You've earned your break and rest! I really enjoyed your stroll down memory lane though. The year wouldn't have shaped us and changed us if it weren't for the stories we have recorded to remind us!

Sharlene T. said...

But, if you hadn't taken the journey, how would you know that you've arrived at your holiday destination??? I'm just sayin'...come visit when you can...I so enjoy your blog...

alicia said...

Yah!!! Now what? Will you still blog this summer? Oh, and explaining the word diarrhea. Classic. Giggle.

Nancy Hniedziejko (Nancy Ehrlich) said...

There is a sense of relief when you complete a challenging journey. We teachers are often the unsung heroes and under appreciated. I finished this week and while working with the kids was rewarding, the school environment is making me re-think next year. I hope your summer break is wonderful! Happy Summer!

Sherri said...

You made it!! Enjoy your summer...funny picturing the explanation and definition of diarrhea....

Literacy Teacher said...

Happy Summer Vacation to You ! TIme to relax and enjoy!

I will be doing the same happy dance soon.... 11 actual school days left for me!

Life Without Pink said...

Happy Saturday Sharefest! I bet you are so excited to get a break! My sister teaches 5th graders too and is counting down the days :)

Renee said...

Happy SITS Saturday!!

Thanks for the words of encouragement on my blog!!

Feel free to stop back & visit mine anytime.

Enjoy your Summer! It sounds like well deserved time off.

Randy et Jan said...

I wonder what is worse, defining "diarrhea" to the school kids, or "circumcision" to the Sunday school kids! Haha!! Have fun on the first day of the rest of your summer!! Love you, Mom

Unknown said...

Happy SITS Sharefest! Untenured! That's no fun. I quit teaching in the US but I have lifetime tenure! Ha! And feet so need a rest after a year of stinky middle schoolers. My congratulations on surviving another year.

A 2 Z said...

Congrats Sarah! You made it back from the trenches LOL Give it 10 days and you will be back to your old self getting ready for September with new ideas and concepts. I hope you keep blogging during the summer! For now you should join me for a Tea Party at my blog! I will put the kettle on!

Anne-Marie

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh! I am SO happy I happened upon your blog this evening!! I too am a teacher of a very challenging group of kids at a Title 1 school. Our last day with kids was on Friday and I definitely did a happy dance! And I had to laugh as I read your last thought about getting a manicure because I got a pedicure today to kick things off! I am definitely going to keep following because you're right- it's easy to blog about school, but now that it's over...hmmm!
“Happy SITS Saturday Sharefest”

Judy@grammyreads.com said...

Woot! Woot! Happy Summer! Go get that pedicure and unwind! And from one teach to another, thanks for keeping it real.

Newer Posts Older Posts Home