I won't forget you all when I'm rich and famous

When I was younger, maybe around middle school, I used to have a folder with an orange and white cat on it. Inside the folder, I kept sheets of notebook paper with character descriptions, story ideas, and half-written short stories.

The point is, I loved to write. I still do (hence the blog). For years now I've wanted to write a novel. It's even a part of my life list. Well last summer I thought of The Best Story Ever. And no, don't worry, that's not going to be the title! I haven't been able to work on it much (mostly because we moved to a new state, and I was going through the most stressful year of my career), but I've picked it up again this week.

Like the nerd that I am, I've been doing some research on how to go about writing a work of fiction. So far, I think my approach is going to be somewhere between this entertaining description of seat-of-your-pants writing, and this highly organized method called The Snowflake Method.

Tonight, I've even decided to go to our local "Writer's Connection" that meets at the Arts Center which is walking distance from our house. I have absolutely no idea what to expect. The flier from the library says: "Our main purpose is to encourage writers and help them improve their work through critiquing and sharing tips, ideas, and encouragement".

If nothing else, maybe they'll have brownies.

12 comments:

Sneaker Teacher said...

I have the same goal...except I would like to write children's picture books. I have a few stories in mind but I just haven't ever really put the effort into writing them down...summer goal!

A 2 Z said...

It sounds like loads of fun. Wish they had something similar here. Have fun! Remember to relax this summer. Thanks for the lovely comment you left on my blog!

Anne-Marie

Sharlene T. said...

If you TRY to forget us when you're rich, you'll discover we have entered a techno age that now makes it impossible for you to get away!...heh heh heh... hope you pick up all kinds of good things to help you go forward in the class(?)...come visit when you can...

Shell said...

Hope it's helpful...or there are really good brownies.

Sherri said...

Good for you! Sometimes all we need is a little help or nudge in the right direction....or a really good brownie!

Ellen Marie "Mama" Pike said...

I have been wanting to write a book as well and had been looking at buying that Snowflake method. Did you buy it yet? I signed up for the newsletter on that site and I like the information.

Sarah Garb said...

Good for you! Being around other people with similar interests can be very inspiring!

Bethany said...

Woot! Good for you. I want a signed copy when you're published!

Anonymous said...

I want a signed copy too! And about that book dedication....Mom

Renee said...

Good luck! I hope the others at the meeting can give lots of good tips & encouragement.

malia said...

GO FOR IT! If you have that *spark* inside you to write you should... good for you for making it happen

Anonymous said...

Mmmm brownies!


I'm stopping by from SITS to welcome you to the group.

Newer Posts Older Posts Home